The Massachusetts CFIDS/ME & FM Association, a 501(c)3 founded in 1985, exists to meet the needs of CFIDS/ME (Chronic Fatigue and Immune Dysfunction Syndrome /Myalgic Encephalomyelitis) and FM (Fibromyalgia) patients, their families and loved ones. We also work to educate and involve interested healthcare providers.
The Massachusetts CFIDS/ME & FM Association is dedicated to working and advocating for effective medical research and treatments that will both alleviate patient suffering and lead to a cure.
We provide information and supportive services to help patients, their families, and their loved ones cope more effectively with these illnesses.
We work to educate both healthcare providers and the general public, so that CFIDS/ME and FM will be recognized and understood as real, serious, and severely-disabling physical illnesses.
In 2010 we celebrated our 25th Anniversary year
In April 2010 we presented an award to Bonnie Gorman, R.N., a founder of the Massachusetts CFIDS/ME & FM Association. In this short video, Bonnie recounts the early history of the Association, the first voluntary patient association for these illnesses even before they had a name. She tells how, from a single support group begun in 1983, it quickly grew to become a resource for similar groups across the nation, and to provide the wide range of service, support, and education we offer today.
View the video.
Read more about the History of the Association.
Our ongoing programs
Read Updates from our President.
The Massachusetts CFIDS/ME & FM Association today is made up entirely of patient volunteers and their families and friends.
- We maintain a website with a wide variety of quality content to educate patients, their families, health care providers, and the general public. The new website is updated frequently.
- We provide information on a wide variety of topics relating to the illnesses, through our website, Information Telephone Line, and our email newsletter.
- We maintain a subscription email list for distributing current CFIDS/ME & FM related news including information about events, conferences, lectures, recent articles, new research findings and more.
- We provide a range of support services for patients, including physician referral, disability counseling, support group referral, and support through our Information Telephone Line and e-mail. We are in the best position to assist individuals in Massachusetts; however, we can occasionally help those outside the region or we will refer them to their local or state patient groups.
- We are developing new ways to educate and involve Massachusetts healthcare providers.
- We are working cooperatively with other associations in the Northeast to develop joint programs for patients and their families, as well as healthcare provider education.
- We wish to build our Association into a strong force for advocacy in Massachusetts, and to cooperate with other regional and national organizations in advocacy efforts both on the regional and national levels.
We promote membership in our Association as a way of affirming the commitment to our goals and financing ongoing activities.
We need and welcome volunteers, both patients and healthy people, to assist with the work of the Association.
If you are a patient requesting information or support services, please read more about our Services.
How you can get involved
Make a donation or volunteer
If you believe in and support our work, please make a donation of any amount that you can afford. We also welcome volunteers.
How to reach us
Massachusetts CFIDS/ME & FM Association
P.O. Box 690305
Quincy, MA 02269-0305 USA