Home Disability Other Needs
Assistance for Other Needs - Housing Assistance Programs PDF Print E-mail
Article Index
Assistance for Other Needs
Housing Assistance Programs
Food & Energy Assistance
Home Care Assistance
Transportation Assistance
Prescription Help
Other Social Service Programs
All Pages

Housing Assistance Programs

A chronically-ill person who is no longer able to work and must rely on a Social Security program for income assistance or even a person on long-term disability (LTD), may at some point find s/he is no longer able to meet their housing costs. Patients, especially those on Social Security, often find that their monthly check is simply inadequate to pay their rent or mortgage, as well as their other basic costs of living.

Home Owner Programs—For those individuals who have difficulty meeting their mortgage payments, help is available. Go to to the Housing programs page, "Foreclosure counseling agencies will review your mortgage and finances with you, discuss your options, and help you find a solution. Your lender might offer a mortgage assistance program, or be willing to negotiate with you to help make your payments more affordable." In 2009, the Obama administration is developing a program to assist homeowners having mortgage difficultycheck with the bank holding your mortgage, or call your congressman.

Subsidized Rental Housing—Many disabled individuals on Social Security or long-term disability insurance find they must seek federally or state subsidized rental housing. Subsidized apartments are provided under a variety of state and federal programs - however, most operate by paying, or subsidizing, a substantial portion of the tenant's monthly rental payment. Under most of the programs, an income-eligible tenant will pay 30%-40% of their monthly income toward their rental payment, and the state or federal government will pay the remainder to the owner. Most of the programs set a limit on the monthly cost of apartments for which subsidies can be provided.

Many of the different programs are explained in the Housing Programs section at Another good resource is a booklet, "How to Obtain Housing Assistance," published by the Massachusetts Executive Office of Housing and Economic Development. Go to On the home page, in the left hand column under "Select an Agency", click, Department of Housing and Community Development.

In the left-hand column under "Key Resources", click on "How to Obtain Housing Assistance". You can also call the Executive Office of Housing and Economic Development in Boston to obtain a copy.

Another excellent resource is the Housing Consumer Education Center at Their telephone number is 617-425-6700.

Forms of Subsidized Rental Housing—There are three general forms of subsidized rental housing:

1) Housing developments owned and managed by local Public Housing Authorities in Massachusetts cities and towns. These developments contain apartments for families, the elderly and the disabled who are income-eligible.

2) Privately-owned developments containing subsidized apartment units. These developments are owned by private companies and contain a certain number of subsidized rental units. An income-eligible individual seeking a subsidized rental unit will apply directly to the specific development.

3) Rental Vouchers (or Certificates)Rental vouchers are "mobile", meaning the individual is not limited to finding an apartment in a specific development, but may seek an apartment on the private rental market which meets certain specifications and standards. There will be a ceiling on the amount of monthly rent for the size of the apartment, the apartment must meet the state sanitary code, and the landlord must be willing to accept the voucher.

There are separate voucher programs funded by the Federal and Massachusetts state government. Certain voucher programs give priorities to individuals in particular categories, including the disabled, and either the homeless or people in danger of becoming homeless. Vouchers are available in Massachusetts from both 8 Regional Non-Profit housing agencies and 112 Local Housing Authorities

Each of the three types of subsidized rental programs will now be summarized:

Public Housing—Local public housing authorities own public housing developments/projects. Apartments in these developments are generally reserved for the elderly, disabled and low-income and moderate-income families. Some developments are specifically for the elderly and disabled. There are income eligibility and asset guidelines, and a disabled person must present evidence of their disability.

The quality of the housing, and of the life in the development, is often specific to the particular development or the community in which it is located. Most public housing authorities have waiting lists, and an individual may or may not have a choice of which development they are assigned to. In many cities or towns in Massachusetts, elderly and disabled public housing developments may be more than acceptable places to live. In general, a tenant will pay about 30% of their income for rent. Applications are made to individual housing authorities. An individual should survey various public housing developments in different locales. Often waiting lists are long, so if you can get on several waiting lists, so much the better. If you are in an emergencyabout to be evictedmost Authorities provide emergency housing on an expedited basis. There are 253 local Public Housing Authorities in Massachusetts. You can obtain a list via the web link in the booklet "How to Obtain Housing Assistance in Massachusetts", given above. You may also call PHA Info: 1-800-955-2232.

Privately-owned Developments with Federally or State Subsidized Rental Units Various privately-owned apartment complexes set aside a percentage of subsidized apartments for disabled and other individuals with low and moderate incomes. You apply to the rental office at the development. If you are accepted, you pay about 30%+ of your monthly income to rent the apartment. You should apply to as many developments acceptable to you as possible, since the length of waiting lists will vary for different developments in different localities.

These privately-owned apartment developments fall into two categoriesthe Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) federally-subsidized developments, and the Massachusetts Housing Agency state subsidized developments. Each agency publishes a separate list of developments in Massachusetts cities and towns that the agency subsidizes. Each list describes, by city and town, the address of the development, the number and size of the units, and whether subsidized units are set aside for the disabled, the elderly, and/or families.

You can obtain both the HUD list and the Mass. Housing list from these agencies in Boston. On the web, for HUD listings in Mass. by city and town, you can go to . Or you can call 1-800-569-4287, and ask for the HUD list for Massachusetts. For the Mass. Housing list, call 617-854-1185, or go to

For general information on privately-owned subsidized housing, you can call 1-800-224-5124.

Tenant-based or "mobile" Housing Vouchers—Housing Vouchers provide financial aid to help low-income persons rent apartments other than apartments in specific projects or developments. An income-eligible tenant who receives a voucher may find an apartment in any city or town up to a specified rental ceiling depending on the number of rooms and family size. The apartment must be up to the housing code; and the landlord must be willing to accept the voucher. Both the federal government and the Massachusetts state government offer a number of voucher programs.

Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher—The federal government through H.U.D. administers this program. You will need to obtain program information as to income eligibility. Generally, under this program the tenant will pay between 30-40% of their income toward the total monthly rent. The voucher will pay the remainder. Both the Regional Non-Profit Housing Agencies and Local Housing Authorities are given section 8 vouchers to provide to eligible persons. "If you apply to any one of the regional non-profit agencies, your name will be placed on a statewide Section 8 waiting list maintained by the [Massachusetts] Department of Housing and Community Development. These waiting lists can be quite long...", but these lists are always open. (from "How to Obtain Housing Assistance in Massachusetts"). You can obtain applications at A list of Regional Housing Agencies in Massachusetts can also be obtained by calling 1-800-224-5124.

"You can also apply to any of the local housing authorities to find out how to submit an application. There is now a centralized waiting list in which 43 local housing authorities participate. You need only to apply to one of these authorities  to be considered by all 43 authorities...You may also apply to each housing authority that does not participate in the centralized list." ("How to Obtain Housing Assistance in Massachusetts"). Some local authorities may not participate in the section 8 program or their lists may be closed. For a recorded listing of authorities accepting applications call 508-778-7507, ext. 4.

Different agencies may establish somewhat different preferences, including local residency, individuals who are disabled and homeless, involuntarily displaced persons, etc. The individual should learn about these preferences when applying.

The Massachusetts Rental Voucher Program and the Massachusetts Alternative Voucher Program—These state-funded voucher programs, again, are provided by both Regional Housing non-profits and local housing authorities (see above for phone numbers and web addresses.) The Rental Voucher program income eligibility standard for one person in 2009 is approximately $21,000. Tenants pay between 30-40% of the monthly rent. Due to long waiting lists, the ability to apply is periodically frozen.

The Alternative Voucher Program was established specifically for disabled people under 60 years of age who are eligible to live in elderly/disabled state assisted public housing.

Income guidelines vary from year to year. AVP recipients pay 25% of their income toward the monthly rent. For more information on this program call 617-573-1150.

Other Housing Resources—The City of Boston operates the Metrolist, "a centralized listing service of both rental and homeownership opportunities." Call them at: 617- 635-3321.

Elderly persons can call the Statewide Elder Hotline at 1-800-882-2003 and the Massachusetts Dept. of Elder Affairs at 617-727-7750.

For the DisabledThe Citizens Housing and Planning Association's Mass Access Program helps people with disabilities find accessible housing. To search their registry, visit their website, or call 617-338-6665.  Also the Massachusetts Office on Disability, 1-800-727-5608, and the Independent Living Information Center 1-800-462-5015 can provide information on housing for the disabled.

For the HomelessContact the Department of Transitional Assistance or call their hotline: 1-800-445-6604. The Department will determine if you are eligible for the Housing Assistance Program. If you need temporary shelter, ask for a list of shelter referral services and the list of temporary shelters.

Another Housing option is Supportive Housing and Long Term Care. See One program is Affordable Assisted Living which is housing with support services for low-income adults who cannot live on their own.

A second option is Congregate Housing which is multi-unit housing with support services for elders and disabled persons who do not want to live alone. It combines privacy and companionship, by offering each resident a private bedroom or apartment, and shared living space and activities. Another variant is Co-Housing.

parkinDESIGN logo